Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Week 1, clubs fair and more!

We are well into our second week of class.

In order to explain to my friends (namely the engineers) just how busy things have gotten already, I often compare my schedule and study hours to that time period between midterms and final exams in your undergrad degree when you are on campus from 8:30am until 11:00pm or later and you only go home to sleep and maybe eat. Except since I live more than a 10 minute walk away from campus, I never go home to eat anymore. 

I am loving it though!

I am continuing to enjoy my classes, but some have taken me by surprise. In particular, “Statistics for Managers” isn’t just learning about the mean, standard deviation, variance and how to conduct a t-test. We are learning how to design statistical studies so that when we are managers in the future, we can make important decisions such as “Is this dog food commercial effective enough for us to air it?” (The Rotmanites will appreciate the shout-out to dog food.)

Someone finally explained to me what Foundations of Integrative Thinking is all about. In a nutshell, the course is supposed to teach you how to make decisions. Each class is dedicated to teaching us a new model or method for making decisions effectively. The course is notorious for its heavy amount of reading, but I am finding the readings quite interesting, so it doesn’t bother me too much.

Last night was the clubs fair in the Rotman atrium. For 3 hours, the first- and second-year Rotman students perused the various tables set up for each club to learn more about what each club offers its members. The clubs range from industry clubs (such as the Rotman Finance Association and the Rotman Management Consulting Association) to culture clubs (such as the Latin American Business Club and the Rotman South Asian Business Association) to social club (such as the Rotman Dance Club and various intramural sports teams. I opted to sign up for the Rotman Finance Association (RFA), the Women in Management Association (WIMA), the Rotman Wine Society (RWS), the Rotman Ambassadors, the MBA Games and co-ed intramural volleyball. I am looking forward to spending some time on activities other than schoolwork, even though I know it is going to make me even more busy!

And finally, on a note unrelated to school, I also wanted to announce that this past weekend, my mom and I participated in the Weekend to End Women’s Cancers, which is a 60 km walk over two days around Toronto. A total of 4,013 walkers raised $9.4 million for the Campbell Family Cancer Research Institute at Princess Margaret Hospital. Despite some aches and pains and a few blisters, the weekend went extremely well! Here is a picture of my mom and I at the finish line at the end of the second day of walking.



Stay tuned for more updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment